Tuesday 12 July 2011

Music: Thrice.. I kid.. The Basement.

For some reason I found myself on youtube watching live performances of Damien Rice. This lead to me watching his Live from the Basement set. I didn't even know he did one. But its like why should I? The only band I know that's done one is Radiohead. I don't really follow these things. And by these things I mean anything. Confused?
Anyway, when I saw that he did a LFTB do I felt compelled to watch it, i'm a sucker for intimate gigs.


I LOVE the live version of Rootless Tree. I've heard this song before, years ago, the album version, and it just didn't have the impact on me that this version does. 


I'm not even a fan of swearing. In fact I hate swearing..well hate is a strong word, but i'm sure you know what I mean. But even the fact that he's swearing doesn't diminish my love for this song.
Probably because my love for it has nothing to do with what he's saying but how he's saying it.

The emotion... it's tangible. And we all know what masculine displays of emotion do to me. 
I found this yesterday and it's been on repeat. You know...I don't know why these sorts of things affect me so much. I guess it's because as a songwriter I know what kinda pain you must be feeling to write something like this. But on the flip side, I wonder how it would feel to know that something like this was written about you? I wonder if the people i've written about know that certain songs are about them.. Do they care?

One day I want to write something like this, I want to sing something like this and feel it..really feel it. But at the same time, I don't want to be in pain..I mean how much paracetamol would he have to take to numb that? 
I'm not asking anybody to experiment and find out though, I think it might be a tad bit dangerous. 

Rella x

No comments:

Post a Comment